(3) Switch S15 to the FAST position.
(4) Switch S17 to the FULL position.
downconverter 5 to the beacon frequency (7250.1 or
(5) Switches S18 and S19 to the OFF
(3) On the antenna control, check that the
Observe that the fault indicators on the on-line
POWER switch is in the ON position and the POWER
indicator is illuminated.
(active) units and the SYSTEM FAULT/CSS and RSS
(4) Place the SCAN MODE switch to the
indicators on the alarm monitor are extinguished.
(5) Operate the AXIS CONTROL switch in the
If a modem fault exists, place the
UP/DOWN direction until the EL DEG POSITION
applicable alarm monitor OVERRIDE-
indicator shows 0.4 degrees below the expected
NORMAL switch to OVERRIDE or the
elevation of the satellite.
off-line modem POWER switch to the
(6) Operate the AXIS CONTROL switch in the
LEFT/RIGHT direction until the CROSS EL DEG
k. If the observations in steps i and j above are
POSITION indicator shows approximately 9.0 degrees to
correct, the equipment is functioning properly; proceed to
the right of the expected azimuth position on the satellite.
step I below. If the observations are not correct, refer to
(7) Set the MGC control to the 130 position or
chapter 5 and perform the necessary troubleshooting
10 dB below the expected receive level; the TRACK SIG
LOSS indicator should be illuminated.
I. Switch the other LNA on-line and repeat steps i
(8) Place the SCAN MODE switch to the ACQ
through k above and then proceed to step m below.
position and the MONITOR switch to the CARRIER
m. On the LNA control/translator, place the
TRANSLATOR switch to the OFF position. Switch the
(9) Antenna travel will stop when the satellite
original LNA on line.
is acquired, the MONITOR meter will indicate a satellite
n. On the associated (on-line) power supply,
signal, and the TRACK SIG LOSS indicator will be
place the OPERATE-STANDBY switch to the STANDBY
(10) Decrease the MGC control setting (adjust
o. On the alarm monitor, open the access cover
CW) until the TRACK SIG LOSS indicator is just
and place all fault switches to the NORMAL position;
close the cover. Leave the AUDIBLE SIGNAL/FAULT
(11) Increase the MGC control setting (CCW)
switch in the OFF position.
to the next higher position on its dial (i.e., if the TRACK
Acquiring the Satellite
SIG LOSS indicator is illuminated at 110, set the control
to 115); the indicator should be extinguished.
(12) Place the SCAN MODE switch to the
If the input carrier level is anticipated to
be below 125 dBm and if the satellite
(13) Operate the AXIS CONTROL switch for a
has not been previously acquired at the
maximum indication on the MONITOR meter. (Repeat
step (11) above if necessary.)
(14) Place the SCAN MODE switch to the
combination, adjust the gain of the
AUTO TRACK position.
The antenna now will
automatically track the satellite.
in the antenna control unit. After
performing the gain adjustment, return
If the satellite cannot be acquired it will
to this procedure and acquire the
be necessary to recheck the sighting
points and antenna heading; refer to
b. Acquisition with Remote Control Unit.
(1) Repeat steps a(1l) through a(6) above.
Do not connect the remote control unit.
(2) Connect the remote control unit cable to
the RCU connector on the antenna entry panel.
(1) Check that the TRANSLATOR switch on
(3) On the remote control unit, set the MGC
the LNA/control translator is in the OFF position. Place
control to the 130 position or 10 dB below the expected
the transmit waveguide switch to the PA 1 ON LINE
position. On the PA1 (on-line) power supply, place the
(4) Get into a position to observe the antenna
OPERATE-STANDBY switch to the STANDBY position.