(20) Close the PA drawer and tighten one
klystron input and output flanges, respectively. Check
captive screw in each corner of the front panel.
that the rear clamp on the flexible waveguide will be
(21) Through the front access opening,
squarely alined with the flange clamp in the chassis.
remove the two screws which secure the heater and
(2) Slowly slide the klystron onto the four
cathode wires to E1 and E2, respectively, at the bottom
corner guide posts and into the PA chassis. Be careful
front of the klystron (use non-magnetic tool) (fig. 5-7).
not to snag the heater wire insulating boot on the bottom
(22) Remove the four 5/16 inch nuts which
edge of the front panel. The two waveguide flange
secure the klystron on the four corner guide posts (use
clamps may or may not be mated properly at this time.
(3) Replace the four 5/16 inch nuts on the
(23) At the bottom front of the klystron loosen
four corner guide posts. Screw them on only about four
the two captive screws which secure the two lower angle
mounting brackets (use nonmagnetic tool).
(4) Loosen all captive screws on the PA front
panel. Extend the PA from the rack.
(5) Check that the two waveguide flange
The klystron weighs approximately 43
clamps are mated properly. As necessary, slide the
Most of this weight is
klystron in and out and rotate the flexible waveguide
concentrated towards the rear of the
flange to accomplish this.
assembly. During removal, be careful
(6) Insert a standard blade screwdriver into
not to allow the rear of the assembly
the clamp handle slot, rotate it clockwise, and lock the
to tip downward. Otherwise, injury to
(7) Connect the SHF input cable plug P2 to
equipment may result.
the waveguide-to-coaxial adapter.
(24) Grasp the handles on the front of the
(8) Replace the four wires on the klystron
klystron and slowly slide it forward. Lift the klystron
terminal strip and tighten the screws using nonmagnetic
slightly to allow the heater wire insulating boot to clear
tools. Remove the tags.
the bottom edge of the front panel. Hold the bottom of
(9) Replace the flexible plenum on the blower
the klystron and then completely remove it from the PA
and klystron mounting flanges. Tighten the screw on
making sure the rear flexible waveguide clears any
each hose clamp to secure the flexible plenum.
(10) Replace the bottom cover, right side
access cover, and top cover on the PA. Tighten all 1/4-
On the rear of the klystron note the
orientation of the rear clamp on the
(11) Close the PA drawer. Tighten all front
flexible waveguide and also the
panel captive screws.
(12) Replace the two angle mounting brackets
(25) Remove the four Allen head screws which
at the bottom front of the klystron and tighten the two
secure the flexible waveguide to the klystron output
captive screws (use nonmagnetic tools). Tighten the
flange (use nonmagnetic tool); remove the waveguide.
four 5/16 inch nuts on the four corner guide posts (use
(26) Remove the four Allen head screws which
secure the waveguide isolator to the klystron input flange
(13) Replace the heater and cathode wires to
(use nonmagnetic tool); remove the adapter.
E1 and E2, respectively, at the bottom front of the
Replacement of Klystron V1.
klystron (use nonmagnetic tools). Tighten the two
Use the nonmagnetic tools provided
(14) Replace the front access cover on the PA.
with the shelter tool kit to replace the
Tighten all 1/4-turn fasteners. Proceed to paragraph 5-
Removal and Replacement of Power
Do not allow magnetic tools,
hardware, etc., to be pulled into the
a. On the power distribution panel place the
associated AUX and PA circuit breakers to the OFF
rapping the magnet can alter its beam
position. Check that the POWER indicator on the
focusing properties and damage the
associated power supply is extinguished.
tube. Also, remove your wristwatch
b. On the associated power supply place the
to prevent it from becoming
START and BLOWER circuit breakers to the OFF
position and the OPERATE-STANDBY switch to the
(1) Replace, in the proper orientation, the
waveguide isolator and flexible waveguide on the